17 July 2019
Symposium 1:Complex Criminal Investigations: Pitfalls and Opportunities in Police Investigative Practice
Coordinates: Alejandra De La Fuente Vilar
- Koller, D., Hofer, F., Grolig, T., Ghelfi, S., & Verschuere, B. Exploring the applicability of the reaction time-based CIT in an airport setting
- Geven, L., Ben-Shakhar, G., Kassin, S., Kindt, M., & Verschuere, B. Memory detection as a forensic tool to evaluate the veracity of a confession
- Millen, A. E., Brock, S., & Hancock, P. J. B. Shining a spotlight on face recognition: mouse-path dynamics detect recognition of familiar faces
- Visu-Petra, L., Buta, M., Seucan, D. T., & Prodan, N. Children’s ability to conceal information via withholding evidence or strategic deception: A longitudinal investigation
- Sánchez, N. & Gómez-Ariza, C. J. Do Cognitive Load and Prefrontal Neuromodulation Affect Deceptive Responding? A tDCS Study
- Street, C. N. H. & Briggs, D. An eye tracking study of how people engage with SMS text messaging scams
Keynote Speaker 1: Aldert Vrij
Oral Communications 2: Victims & offenders I
- Conditioning in the effectiveness of imprisonment. Friedrich, W.
- Ideographic Risk Factors for Domestic Violence Victimization and Associated Determinants of Help-Seeking. Hammond, L., Jalil, R., Harrison, N., & Brookes, M.
- Youth Knife-Crime in the UK. Hammond, L., Jalil, R., & Brookes, M.
- Inhibitors of disclosure in corroborated cases of child sexual abuse. Gewehr, E., Hensel, B., & Volbert, R.
- The Boundaries of Violence: Criminalising Coercive Control. McMahon, M. & McGorrery, P.
- Prevalence and predictors of verbal and indirect victimization among youths in short-term detention. Klatt, T.
- Exposure to IPV during childhood and the association with perpetration: Differences across gender. Cano-González, I., Cantu, J., Hsieh, C., Trujillo, O., Viñas-Racionero, R., & Charak, R.
- Stalking acknowledgment: How much do I need to suffer to be a stalking victim? Viñas-Racionero, R., Cano-González, I., Soria-Verde, M. A., & Scalora, M.
Applied Session 1:
Oral Communications 3: Deception detection & malingering I
- International Research with the Inventory of Problems-29 (IOP-29). Giromini, L. & Viglione, D. J.
- Social power and deception detection. Ulatowska, J. & Cislak, A.
- From Suspicion to Detection: People’s Strategies to Detect Deceit. Masip, J., Sánchez, N., & Jiménez, A. I.
- How People (Try to) Detect Deception in Everyday Life. Sánchez, N., Masip, J., & Herrero, C.
- Can healthy participants fake the eye movement disorders associated with schizophrenia? Warmelink, L., Ales, F., Giromini, L., Crawford, T., Polden, M., & Kelly, C.
- It hurts all the time: Symptom Stability Among Truth Tellers and Malingerers. Boskovic, I., Zwaan, L., & Merckelbach, H.
- Identifying sabotage preparations with Concealed Information Test: Mock crime pilot in the military context. Virtanen, T. & Simola, P.
Symposium 2: Violent crime and victimization: Portuguese studies and practices
Coordinates: Ana Cristina Neves
- Neves, A. C. & Almeida, I. Beliefs about intimate partner violence: gender and generation effects
- Matias, A., Gonçalves, M., Soeiro, C., & Matos, M. Intimate Partner Violence homicide: risk factors and offenders gender differences
- Almeida, T. C. F. Childhood trauma victimization: Relationship with emotion regulation difficulties and self-esteem in a Portuguese sample
- Monteiro, S. Forensic assessment and clinical intervention in cases of sexual abuse – benefits of play activities
- Almeida, I., Quintas, J., Ventura, R., & Saavedra, R. Assessment Guidelines for Elder Domestic Violence (AGED)
Oral Communications 4: Eyewitness identification & memory I
- Blind drunk? The effect of elevated levels of intoxication on eyewitness identification accuracy and confidence. Kneller, W. & Crossland, D.
- The impact of acute alcohol intoxication on mock-witness event memory and metacognitive control. Gawrylowicz, J., Scoboria, A., Teodorini, R., & Albery, I.
- The intoxicated co-witness: examining the effects of alcohol and discussion on autobiographical memory reports. Bartlett, G., Frings, D., Albery, I., & Gawrylowicz, J.
- Law & (rec)order: Updating memory with body-worn cameras. Adams, D., Paterson, H., & MacDougall, H.
- Using general and eyewitness-specific metamemory assessments to estimate performance in multiple identifications. Saraiva, R., Hope, L., Horselenberg, R., & Van Koppen, P.
- Development and validation of the Eyewitness Metamemory Scale (EMS). Saraiva, R., Van Boeijen, I. M., Hope, L., Horselenberg, R., Sauerland, M., & Van Koppen, P.
- Intentional versus unintentional memory: An examination of tasking mock informants to remember. Nunan, J., Milne, R., Shawyer, A., Walsh, D., Dalton, G., & Stanier, I.
- Effects of writing in the Self-Administered Interview on recalling and retaining eyewitness memories. Matsuo, K. & Miura, H.
Oral Communications 1: Interviewing, interrogations & confessions I
- Question Types in Police Interviews With Homicide Suspects. Miller, K., Mattison, M., Wright, C., Bramwell, R., & Dando, C.
- Permissible practices in witness preparation. Airaksinen, H.
- Managing disclosure-costs in intelligence interviews. Neequaye, D. A. & Luke, T. J.
- Some psycho-social conditions of crimes committed by adult women sentenced for imprisonment. Has, A. & Rajtar, T.
Oral Communications 5: Criminal investigations
- The importance of the place: examining the relationship between facilities and juvenile delinquency. Trinidad, A., Vozmediano, L., & San Juan, C.
- Sex Trafficking: Blaming the Victim and Failed Prosecutions. Wiener, R.
- Imprisoned But Innocent: Wrongful Convictions and Imprisonments in Germany between 1990 and 2016. Rettenberger, M., Leuschner, F., & Dessecker, A.
- Targeting prison subculture by modifying occupational factors in correctional facilities. Stasch, J., Vogel, B. O., Voss, T., Dahle, K. P., & Sauter, J.
- Examining the link between adverse childhood experiences, psychopathy and crime. Cruz, A. R., Castro-Rodrigues, A., Cunha, A., Alves, V., & Gonçalves, R. A.
- Membership and identification with antisocial groups. A mixed study with Mexican prisoners. Pérez, B., García-López, E., Merchan-Rojas, L., & Álvarez-Escobar, B. S.
- Development and validation of the Good Lives Questionnaire. Harper, C., Lievesley, R., Blagden, N., Winder, B., Akerman, G., & Baumgartner, E.
Written Communications 1: Credibility assessment & Decision-making
- Verification of the usefulness of the Criteria Based Content Analysis in Polish courts’ judgments. Wach, E. & Jaskiewicz-Obydzinska, T.
- The effect of true and false baseline statements on the accuracy of veracity judgements. Schemmel, J., Leve, M., & Volbert, R.
- Children’s testimonies: CBCA scores for truly experienced, partially fabricated and fully fabricated events. Lubane, I.
- Hindrances in the rehabilitation process after experiencing sexualised violence – The role of credibility assessment. Schoon, W. & Briken, P.
- Intimate partner batterers: Irrational beliefs, distorted thoughts and concealment. Arias, E., Vázquez, M. J., Redondo, L., & Fariña, F.
- Dangerousness Judgments of Individuals Diagnosed with Schizophrenia: the Effect of Biased Media Formats. Hudson, G., & Machan, C.
- The study of suspicion: The interaction of suspicion with type of lie. Takiguchi, Y.
- Exploring Juvenile Offender Stereotypes’ Effect on Videoed Witness Credibility, Evidence Weighting & Guilt Judgments. Machan, C.
- Visualizing deliberation by the text-mining method through the comparing of multivariate analysis. Wakabayashi, K.
- Electrophysiological Evidence of Risk Decision Making in Violent Psychopathic Offenders. Liu, J., Wang, Q., & Zhang, Z.
- Sexual violence against women: Variables involved in judicial decision making. Camplá, X., Seijo, D., Novo, M., & Arce, R.
- The burden of proof in sexual assault against adult women and their value in the Chilean criminal justice. Camplá, X., Cea, B., Deaño, A., & Jiménez, S.
Written Communications 1: Credibility assessment & Decision-making
Poster session with authors